Chinese medicine teaches us to live in harmony with nature. That means living in accordance with nature and the seasons.
Fall equinox is the time to store up bounty for the long colder winter months. Sadness is the emotion often associated with fall because the excitement of spring and summer has come to an end; the leaves change color and the days grow shorter. The cycle of growth slows to conserve energy in preparation to turn inward during winter.
Autumn is a perfect time to finish projects, remove clutter from your life, and get your affairs in order. The relation of sadness during fall reminds us not to dismiss our emotions to have the courage to feel, as sadness is just as important as joy and all other emotions.
The lungs and large intestines are the organs associated with fall, and metal is the element. It is important to take care of your lungs, as the wind and cold affect the lungs giving rise to more colds, coughs, and sore throat.
5 tips for embracing autumn:
- Try to get 8 hours of sleep a night to keep your adrenals and immune system strong. If you have trouble sleeping try melatonin or gaba.
- Eat healthy warming foods like broth, soups, ginger, garlic, and onions. Drink herbal tea with raw honey.
- White and light colored foods strengthen the lungs, like radishes, shitake mushrooms, and white beans.
- Stay warm and make sure to keep a scarf handy to protect your neck from cold wind.
- Support the immune system by supplementing with Vitamin D, Vitamin C, and eat plenty of seasonal fruits and vegetables.