Fall is the perfect time to enjoy heartier meals and warming, rich foods. This vegan chili recipe promises to satisfy and delight your tummy.
- 6 cloves minced garlic
- ⅓ cup sesame oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric spice
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1½ cups butternut squash (cubed peeled)
- 4 cups chopped heirloom tomatoes
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup cannellini beans
- 2 cups red kidney beans
- ½ cup cilantro
- Using a large pot, start with medium heat and add sesame oil.
- Create a richness of flavor with the sesame oil which will act as a base to flavor everything else.
- Add the garlic, onions, ginger, turmeric, cumin, salt and red pepper.
- Stir this mixture on medium heat until the amazing aroma fills your kitchen.
- Next add bell peppers, butternut squash, beans and tomatoes.
- Allow the mixture to glaze with the flavor of the oil for 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, cover the pot and let it simmer for at least 4 hours (the longer the better).
- Top with hummus, avocado, fresh cilantro, a small squeeze of fresh lime and a dusting of sea salt.